Welcome to the NHS Counseling website! Here is some information to help parents stay informed.
What is a school counselor?
School counselors are an amazing resource for students and parents alike. School counselors consult and collaborate to provide academic, personal/social, college/career and developmental support to students. They advocate on the behalf of all students to ensure that each student becomes academically and personally successful. School counselors provide academic support services, organizational skills, post-secondary planning, educational goal setting and personal counseling.
Refer to the Counseling main page to determine who your student's counselor is and to find their contact information.
where can my student get extra help with their classes?
There are a number of ways that students can get extra help with their classes, including:
- Tutorial: Every Tuesday and Thursday, students have 35 minutes of Tutorial. Students are encouraged to use Tutorial time to get extra help from their teachers.
- Tutor Center: NHS offers free peer tutoring to all students through the Tutor Center. The Tutor Center is open Monday - Thursday from 2:00pm - 3:00pm.
- Contact Teachers: Teachers are the best resource to provide information about how a student is doing in their class. Students and parents are welcome to contact teachers via email or phone - all email addresses and phone number are avaialable on the NHS website under Our Staff.
Parents who have general concerns about their student's academic progress are welcome to contact their student's counselor. Refer to the Counseling main page to determine who your student's counselor is and to find their contact information.
How to Stay in touch with nhs?
- The Weekly Bulletin: Advisors review the weekly news, activities and future event through Advisement. You should also receive the Weekly Bulletin in your email or you can find it on the main page of our website.
- The NHS Website: The website is a great way to stay current on NHS news, activities, and school information.
- Canvas: The majority of NHS teachers post their course syllabus and class assignments on Canvas. This allows students to access class assignments, notes and other information from home. It is a great way to check if your student has homework and when the next test/quiz will be administered!
Information about Canvas translated in Mandarin is available here.
- Parent Portal: This online tool allows you to view your student's attendance, progress reports, quarter/semester grades, standardized test scores, transcript and graduation status. If you have already established a parent portal account, you can continue to access the high school information by logging-in. If you have not established an account, go to the NHS website and click on the Parent Portal button on the left hand side of the screen. Follow the directions on that site to establish an account.
Naviance Family Connection is a comprehensive, web-based planning tool that will assist Northwood families in managing the academic, career and college aspects of high school. Naviance will complement the series of classroom guidance lessons, individual appointments, and informational seminars offered to all grade levels by our counselors. Parents can access a read-only version of their student's Naviance portal. Registration codes for parents were sent via email. If you do not have your registration code, please contact your student's counselor.