College & Career Center

Welcome to the NHS College & Career Center!

Click here for a list of the resources available in the College and Career Center.

Weekly Newsletter

Each week Mrs. Smith sends out a College and Career Center Newsletter. Click here to download the latest newsletter.

Youth of the Month Program

For information regarding the Youth of the Month Program please see the quick link for financial aid.

Work permit Information


What is a work permit?
A work permit is a legal document required by the state that allows a person between the ages of 14 and 18 to hold a job. The purpose of a work permit is to protect the student from illegal working conditions and keep the student in school.


How do I get a work permit?
You must have a job or a job offer to get a work permit and a 2.0 GPA or above. The contact person at Northwood  during the school year is Mrs. Smith in the College and Career Center. Mrs. Smith’s email is:  During the summer contact Mrs. Lauritzen at   The contact person will email you a form to be signed by a parent, employer and you.  You will scan the form and email it back to the contact person who will then have an Assistant Principal sign the form and send you the completed Work Permit.


Do I need a work permit for babysitting, yard work or paper routes? No

How often do I need to get a work permit?
Each time you are hired for a new job, a new work permit is necessary. All work permits expire shortly after school starts in August, even if you have the same job.


How many hours can I work?


16- and 17-Year-Old Students  may work four hours on school days and eight hours on non-school days or days preceding a non-school day.

14- and 15-Year-Old Students  When school is in session, 14- and 15- year-olds may work 3 hours per day, not to exceed 18 hours per week. You may also work 8 hours per day when school is not in session, not to exceed 40 hours per week.


College & Career Center Calendar